Rathlin Island
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Relocating to Rathlin

2 posters

Go down

Relocating to Rathlin Empty Relocating to Rathlin

Post  Rathlin Info Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:39 pm

So you’re thinking of moving to our island?

We have lots of family and friends that come to stay and they all love it, but after a couple of weeks quite a few of them say they “love it here, but wouldn’t want to live here”. I can hear you ask why? Strangely it is the very thing that people often come here looking for that they’re surprised to find overwhelming, it’s the peace and quiet. Because it really is quiet, so often in the city you don’t even notice the individual background noises, they’re just there all the time. Here (certainly where we live) there are none, no traffic noise, no people shouting, no sirens, just the birds and sound of the sea as we are right on the coastline.

Sometimes I spend time on the mainland and one afternoon as I sat in a back garden I observed that the noise never stops, it’s not bad, it’s just always there. Some people prefer it, they say it makes them feel alive , part of something bigger, some find the quiet of Rathlin (especially when on their own) very lonely.

We’re all, different, and want different things. If you’re thinking of moving to Our island we would suggest that you try to come for a long holiday, or better still rent a property and try living here for maybe six months or so before burning any bridges.

Thinking you would like to live here and actually living here are totally different.

The wind is another big factor to take into account; we get lots of wind in Our island! The winds in winter can be quite violent and a little scary. But the stormy sea makes a spectacular sight. People seem to think that the weather on our island is extremely cold and harsh, but this is not so. Being surrounded by the sea keeps the temperature quite stable. In fact it very rarely gets below freezing. In the past few years we have only had snow that has settled for one day.

We have often smiled at the questions that we have been asked by various friends and family. “Do you have electric?” “Do you have tarmac roads?” And “Where do you get your water from?” are just some of the more amusing examples. Yes we do have mains electricity and the roads are tarmaced! The roads are pretty good actually as they are not being constantly dug up! and we get water by turning on the taps!
Here on Rathlin we have a small grocery shop , a post office, a pub/restaurant ,a hotel/bar/restaurant , chip van , primary school , two churches , souvenir shop, fire station , coastguard station , district nurse with clinic and various community buildings. We also buy things via the Internet as we have a very good postal service and a very good transport infrastructure that handle delivery of larger items.
We hope that this our web site will answer some or most of the questions that you have. I also hope residents who moved here recently can share their own experiences (good and bad),

To be continued……

Rathlin Info
Admin

https://rathlin.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Relocating to Rathlin Empty Re: Relocating to Rathlin

Post  bajgur Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:22 am

so.....?
continue please, it's been 9 months...

thanks...

bajgur

Back to top Go down

Post  Rathlin Info Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:05 am

yep sorry about that was waiting for this bit

I also hope residents who moved here recently can share their own experiences (good and bad),

Rathlin Info
Admin

https://rathlin.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down